Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cowlicks and Animal Instincts

Animal Instinct : When applied to human beings, this term refers to those of our urges that are not really logical. 


That being said, lets talk about "Cowlicks". 



 As my friend and Hairstylist Heidi Grether said. "How did our sophisticated career get such a down home on the farm term as THAT?"  Well, here it is...... drum roll please. The term "cowlick" dates from the late 16th century, when Richard Haydocke used it in his translation of Lamazzo  "The lockes or plaine feakes of haire called cow-lickes, are made turning upwards." 


    
This kid has cowlicks!
I think most of us know what a cowlick is. Most of us have one.  It's that bit of hair that grows in a circular direction or in the opposite direction of the rest of your hair. It's found in either the bang, crown or nape section of your head. Most of us HATE  it with a passion. This is where the "animal instinct" comes in. ( I can picture you nodding your head YES! ). It  truly has a mind of it's own. 


Some have been fortunate enough to have discovered a style that work with their cowlick and it looks fabulous. Vidal Sassoon was a master of creating styles that work with the natural hair growth. He cut Mia Farrow's hair for the 1968  film Rosemary's Baby.


Mia Farrow



As a Hairstylist I try to look for cowlicks before I cut one of my client's hair shorter. Most times it can be cut to lay right. Every now and then after one snip that cowlick shows up waving at me like a child that hasn't seen me in a long time. I have one in my crown. Although I love my hair short hair, the cowlick , MY cowlick makes me crazy. I want to fight it! I want to scream! (See the picture below). This is how it looks when I do nothing to my hair. Trust me, I get those hairs up before I get to work. (See the after picture further down).





My crazy cowlick
Here are ways to deal with a cowlick:
#1 Keep the area a bit longer to give it weight. 
#2 Have it cut short to blend. When I do this, I look like I'm chiseling out a design in a piece of wood.
#3  Hair product like medium hold gel and light teasing to manipulate it.
#4 Plastic surgery? Yes, I actually read about this! I guess when that "animal instinct" kicks in and you want to pull your hair out...... I can sort of understand.


With a little work, VIOLA!
Take a deep breath and try to go with the flow of your hair. Your stylist should be able to help you. Don't be afraid to ask. That is what we're here for.  There is a cut and style that will work with your cowlick. If you just learn how to use it to your own benefit. Don't let that animal instinct get ahold of you. It's just not worth it. Do I still struggle and fight with it. I sure do.
Here's another way to think of it.  A cowlick is a part of your make-up, distinctly YOUR design. Much like a finger print or even a southern accent.  Realizing that God created that as a part of you is just neat!


My dear sweet husband, Jeff Keel suggested I blog on this subject. What a great subject.
Also, If you love music, check out Jeff's blog. He finds great music to review. Click here  40 Year Phone Call


Happy Hair Days!
Shannon










1 comment: